New work, much larger than I had intended…Posted: August 25, 2013
I started a new piece of work a few weeks ago, using these fabrics, below, which I sorted and put down quite quickly and liked the result, and didn’t want to cut them up in any way. This is not a good idea, generally, as I ended up with a piece of work that was larger than my table, and therefore a little irritating to work on, but what could I do? I must keep the work smaller in future though, for several reasons, two of which are I have a lot of ideas I need to get out there, and following on from this, no storage space for all these completed ideas. Then there is the too small table, of course; can I fit a larger table into a small workplace, I ask myself. I daresay I will find time to investigate the Ikea website to answer this question.
The fabric lay out above was made larger by the addition of some other printed fabric elements, too. Here they all are, bondawebbed together, and having been printed with some new thermofax screens I made from drawings of an aralia in our garden; the sketchbook pages are shown in a previous post.
The piece has three quite secret moths on it, which I made from a combination of printed silk, silk organza and cotton. I printed an image I had photographed of a leaf skeleton onto the fabrics, using my inkjet printer.
Everything ready to be machine stitched, with some of the threads I used. It’s done now, and will have hand stitch and beads added. I intend to take the piece to work on at the Open Studio event I am sharing with Hilary Beattie, at the Bramble Patch in Weedon, Northamptonshire, on 29, 30 and 30th August, 10-4 ish. We will be printing and dyeing fabric too, so if you have time, drop by for a chat. We have a lot of work on display there too, in an exhibition we share with Jan Hassard, so there will be plenty to look at, with free coffee, tea and biscuits to boot.