Order and chaos.Posted: September 12, 2013
I’ve been working with some of the new fabrics I printed and painted a couple of weeks ago during the Open Studio event at the Bramble Patch in Northamptonshire. It was very enjoyable to trawl through the fabrics, and I was pleased that the Setacolour I used for printing with my thermofax screens had become even crisper and more defined as it had cured over a few days.
The main problem is with some of these fabrics is that I don’t want to cut them up; this is a pest as my work is based upon cutting fabric and paper up, to basically make collage to which I add stitching. I’m working on a new way of treating these pieces, but one or two others have been sort of partially cut up. I have been making some new work that will be part of a new artist’s book, but in the meantime will also be earning its keep as samples for a series of courses I am teaching over the next couple of weeks, based upon pattern and the use of simple shapes, repeated within a space.
I love images of peoples’ messy studios, so here are a couple of my work area, when everything was out and being sorted through. I do have the habit of having several ideas [ which of course I think are all marvellous at the time ] as I go through fabric, and bundling the relevant pieces up, thus producing enough possible projects to keep me going for quite a few years. I’ll never learn.
It took me ages to sort it and decide what to use. I had a good old de clutter of fabric earlier this year, so at least there is a bit of space to keep the new stuff, but room for more is at a premium. My daughter is getting into digital art and I can see the attraction. Below are a few of the new fabrics, they need ironing, sorry about that.
These two chaps seem to crop up in a lot of the work, and I thought I was using a big variety of screens. I think you just get paint left on the screen and carry on using it up, starting a new piece, then having to add more paint to finish that piece.
I chose this fabric, with some others, to make a page for the book, and as a sample in pattern, or at least the way I use pattern. It wasn’t the best piece to leave as a whole cloth, so cut up was an ideal background.
I’ve just finished this piece too; its making and how I made it will be featured in Maggie Grey’s Workshop on the Web.
To finish, phew, there are a lot of images here, are some other sample pieces to take to the pattern courses. Some have been around for a couple of years, but I’ve backed them and will actually get around to stitching them next week.
The first, below, is a new one though, which is constructed on 20 x 20 cm squares of black felt, using a mix of printed fabrics and mixed media, such as papers and metal, so this will do nicely for the pattern course and a mixed media course that’s coming up soon too. Just need to get on with stitching it…
Coming soon, more mess; I’ve just photographed the early stages of the construction of another double page spread for the book, before and after I sorted the pile of ‘useful’ stuff I had hoarded for such an occasion. Digital art, bring it on.