It’s that time of year again. The Festival of Quilts is approaching, and I am gradually filling the house with all the stuff I have to take for my stand. A lot of it is very neatly packed into Ikea boxes, which seems to be a good idea, but I can only fully properly put the lids on a couple of them, which means my clever stacking idea for the car has no legs. Still, I am indeed an ace packer of a lot into a small space, which is useful as I haven’t even brought all the other bits and pieces I need in from their storage yet. I seriously need a van though. Can I just say thank you to all of those people who have bought my Thoughts book. I didn’t know if it was going to be at all popular, being the wandering/wondering witterings of a weird woman, but it has sold out, for the time being. I have done some to take to the Festival. I’ve been altering a piece of work I laid down some time ago, which I was absolutely convinced was going to work. Well we all are, I imagine, when we start some new work, but we have to be open to change, i.e. cutting it up, in my case. Perhaps too much conviction early on is not a good thing; I fear however there are no actualities in place about this. I have recently bought three pairs of gloriously sharp new scissors though, so cutting and sticking is great fun at the moment. This piece, below, didn’t work as a piece after I had machine stitched it. I coloured the background, and stitched it some more, but it just got worse. I like this early image though, so have had a play with it in Photoshop, layering my photographs and images of other pieces of my work. The Photoshopped pieces have developed by chance into a series of images which are based upon stamped envelopes, which I think will be something new and interesting to work with in some future pieces. They reminded me of my stamp collecting days when I was young. I didn’t much care for rarity, I liked the big illustrative stamps best, especially all those which I think were from Hungary. The first image hasn’t got its stamp yet, I’m still deciding what image to use. . . .
The original piece which I took the scissors to now looks like this, below. It was called Dark Tide, now it’s named Night Tide, and I’m altogether happier with it. It’s not finished, there is much work to be done, mostly with metallic thread and of course the odd hundred + beads or so. It’s companion piece, Bright Morning, unfinished, is shown below. They will hopefully be in the Art Textiles: Made in Britain gallery at the Festival of Quilts next year, possibly along with their envelope offspring. . My stand is Demo H, at the back of the hall by the food and loos, so please come by to say hello.