Two new garden pieces

I’ve just finished laying down two new garden pieces for my show in August at the RBSA Galleries. I had originally done four large garden hangings which I decided were too much for this particular show. These new pieces are representations of our garden in the bareness of the winter, in this case snow features, as we had a fair amount of it, and in the fullness of summer as a direct contrast.

Of course they turned out larger than planned, so they are not going to be framed but each element is bonded onto lutrador and will be individually machined before being attached to the backing, which is an old blind. Blind fabric is something I love to work with. They will in effect be hangings, which I’m hoping will be mainly machine stitched but with some handstitching and a few beaded areas.

The idea of the show is that the content is autobiographical. I’m building up a fair amount of work to be finished, the most daunting of which is the large jungle hanging which is destined for this year’s Festival of Quilts. This needs loads of finishing and hand stitching. At the moment it’s pinned on the wall and worrying me…

This is the laid out summer piece. The elements are not attached. It’s about 1 m x 1.2 m.

Here’s the winter piece.

The individual stitched elements. Lovely to do as there’s no grappling with huge heavy pieces of work.

A close up of the stitched work.

A closer close up.

And another close up.