A new piece on paper, well old and new…

I found a partly done painting during a tidy up which I then left out to finish at some point. When I went into the studio today I decided that it needed fabric additions. I would never have worked like this when I started it, although it was something I’ve noted I’d like to do for some time. I finished painting it relatively quickly using inks and adding texture with scrunched up kitchen roll. I’d already drawn it with fine lines using waterproof ink. I then started to add fabric; there’s more to apply, then there will be the inevitable stitching and beading. It definitely fits into the illustrative aspect of my work, but it is a move in a new direction, which is something I think needs to happen at intervals. I may do another piece in a similar way, for a selected exhibition in Wales. This one I shall submit to the Prize Exhibition at the RBSA, that’s selected too.

Here are some images of it after painting and with some fabric bondawebbed on. I wish I’d photographed it as I found it, too late now. Images of my finished Summer picture tomorrow I hope. Rather a lot of work all going on at the same time here…

1. The full piece, a little smaller than A2.

2. Just painted

3.With some fabric added, I love the way it blends, my husband had to run his fingers over it to convince himself it was there.