Two new pieces are now on the go, well, Sea Lily was started some time ago and has languished on the wall until I entered it into the Festival of Quilts, which certainly spurs you into actually finishing a piece. The Stone Bird book is done all but for binding the spine; what a brute it is too, I am seriously going to put a warning on the package re its weight.
Sea Lily is a fossil based piece, in which I decided I wanted to use mixed media, in the form of porcelain pieces and wooden boxes, and also some relevant images from my embroideries printed onto acetate. I’m very into printing onto acetate these days, I love the combination of digital image and plastic, two of my favourite things.
Here are some early stages images.
And here I’ve made my boxes, or box frames to be a little more exact, and I’m having a play with them on the work. There will be text involved too. They are made from balsa wood, which is just about my limit re woodwork, and takes me back to childhood when I used to buy those packs of mixed balsa wood to make things from.
And here, as if by magic [I wish] is the laid down work, ready for machine then hand stitching. Inexplicably it includes of course a bird skull embroidery of mine printed on acetate, and a floating but not in the usual sense, swan. It’s about 3/4 A1 sized.