My new piece of work is ‘The Moth Pages’, which started as quite a gothic and dark hanging, inspired and influenced by Baroque architectural elements. It didn’t have enough of a purpose, so I decided to cut it into portions, to construct a hanging book. It then grew as I decided to base it on the lime hawk-moth, so there was more content to include.It’s quite large now, as seems usual for me; give me the space and I’ll fill it. The centre portion is ready to be machine stitched, and I’m working on the outer areas. When I have printed out my words properly I’ll see how they look and start to add more elements in the form of more detailed moths and lime leaves.
It’s been quite a slow job but it’s moving on ok now. I’m looking forward to the stitching both by machine and hand; it really needs that detail and texture, and I do like stitched khadi paper.
And here it is, pinned roughly to the wall and held together with masking tape, with the draft copies of the words stuck on to see where they look best. There is much work to be done to the layout of the outer area. It’s on A3 sized pieces of khadi paper.