How often have I talked about collographs and how I want to try them; at last I’ve actually done it. I had started the plate, which is quite a large floppy thing, some time ago at one of the meetings of Eclectica, a textile group I’m in. On Thursday I used it to print some fabric and paper. I realised afterwards that I had intended to add more to it, but it seemed to be interesting enough, so I just got going. Some pieces were brushed with acrylic paint first, then all the prints were made with acrylic paint; I also utilised a couple of lino cut blocks I made ages ago. I’d like to make more of those too, should I ever manage to live parallel lives.
Here’s the plate, it’s made from thick felt, netting, threads, bits of masking tape and a great deal of optimism, all stuck [badly, as it turned out] onto a piece of plastic windscreen cover. It’s about 50cm x 35cm.
I’m using two other pieces for two new bird pieces, so they’re already useful.
I did quite a lot more than these, you know what it’s like when the paint is out, and you just keep going. I also took a lot of close up images in a square format, which my new camera does; they look really interesting, and are asking to be printed on fabric and paper, to be used altogether as one piece or as various backgrounds and indeed foregrounds. I don’t need another project at the moment, but it’s been noted in my ideas pad. I do find digital photography and printing opens up many creative channels, just as itself, let alone with photoshop, which I don’t use very often; it’s been good for a few colour changes on images I want to use in projects though.