I’ve finished the tenth piece from my Found series now, so that completes the set; this one is named Found 10, Moths and Stone.
The whole work, that is all ten pieces, will be at the Festival of Quilts and then in an exhibition in Birmingham in October called Found, with 2 of my friends from the Quatrefoil Textile Group. It’s great that they are all finished, but I have caused myself some problems as I’m not sure how to hang them all. They are A2 sized, on Khadi paper, and although they will be together at FoQ, I don’t want to string them together, as they will be exhibited in a different way at the next venue. I should have learned by now to keep it simple stupid but fear I never will.
I’m also worried that needing them to be individually hung at FoQ will cause a lot of work for the people there, as it will be fiddly to say the least. I do have ideas about how to do it though; I have one more such piece to finish, which is Floating Gardens, for the Six and Friends shows, and after that I don’t imagine I will do any more large component pieces, for quite a while at least.
I made some porcelain moths for this piece, but decided not to use them, as I preferred the flatter look of printed paper and acetate, using the repeated moth shapes in two different sizes. The ceramic moths will appear some where else at some point, I should think.
The moths were from two illustrations in my artist’s book, Mist and Grey.
This chappie is printed on Khadi paper.
And this moth is printed on acetate. The red/turquoise combination is, I think, always beautiful. I’m sure I read in one of Shelia Paine’s books about ethnic embroidery that it is an auspicious colour combination but I couldn’t locate the reference. I’ll carry on looking.