In the past week I’ve been tying up some loose ends of work, which is always gratifying. Unfortunately a few more loose ends have appeared, but that’s the way it is.
I had started to make some small pages for a concertina book based upon my Beach series of work, soon to be in a show entitled, intriguingly, ‘Beach’, and decided that I’m not a concertina book sort of person. So I mounted them all on some recycled test prints of some of my photographs, and although I do quite like them, I think that is how they will stay. They will be very useful teaching aids in some up coming collage and recycling courses I am teaching.
I have also been finishing some small jolly bird pieces, previously blogged, and the nasturtium triptych, which I think will be called Screen Garden. I have to paint some frames now for my Beach embroideries for the show, which are in my galleries [ Gallery 1 ] should you want to see them. I have these older Ikea frames, which are very solid and well made; you can’t buy them now, unfortunately. I need them to be off white, so I’m going to try some Annie Sloan chalk paint on them. This is new to me, but it seems to cover with ease and should go well with the work. I’ll post an image or two, presuming it all works out. If not, you may hear shouting.
I have an urge to start something different, and have taken some work out of my plan chest that I started last year, along with one or two finished but unemployed embroideries ready to see the light of day, and lots of interesting bits and pieces of fabric and paper, and some drawings and prints I want to put together in a new book. There will be new work in it too, but I so enjoy having work half done to bolster the start of this sort of project. I’ve written some text for it, and hope to get going with it soon. I will, however, be finishing my big Summer book first; this is no bad thing as I am tending these days to finish a project before I start another, and the new book can brew away whilst I concentrate on the current one.
Drawings and some of the work I will use in the new book, which will possibly be about trees.
I’ve decided to string all my ‘Found’ pieces [also in Gallery 1 ] together to show at the Festival of Quilts too. I was intending just to show these at an exhibition with Quatrefoil group of artists in October, but we changed our minds about that venue, and have instead chosen to go back to the RBSA next year, so Found will have an early outing. I do dislike the stringing together but when it’s done I like the effect, and I like to work in components; there is always a downside to most construction formats. Turn the radio up and get on with it is the usual way.
ps: if you want to have a closer look, the images will become nice and big if you click on them.