I’ve had some pieces of work dragging on for a while, so made a very concerted effort over the last few days to finish them off. The circular pieces, about which I’ve blogged previously, are quite big, with the birds added after they were made and stitched separately, and as I ended up with spare birds I made a rectangular piece too.
So, here they are, all done and ready to go to my stand at the Festival of Quilts. The circular pieces are about 55 cm in diameter, on printed and dyed Khadi paper, with added fabric, slip birds and stitch.
I enjoyed making this one most, using the birds as bold shapes cut from some fabric I had printed and dyed, with a small amount of appliqué. This more pattern based approach may be the direction in which my work is going.
The ‘spare bird’ piece, 50 x 30 cm.
I taught a ‘ Beautiful Birds’ class a week or so ago, and during these classes I do a demonstration of printing and painting, using acrylics and inks, on fabric and paper, so the students can then follow on and make their own individual fabrics. I always tell them to ignore the results of my demo and just watch the techniques, as the resultant fabrics can be quite challenging. But I have noticed that when I get home I quite often choose to use some of these overloaded bits of cloth. So here is an image of the products of one of my demos during the class. I was using a particularly strong and, let’s be honest, ghastly green acrylic paint. When it was dry I flooded the fabrics with crimson ink, which resulted in what can accurately be described as very jolly and mostly pink and green fabric and painted map. As a couple of students wanted to see a hand stitch demonstration too, I used a pattern I had designed for an article and made up a quick bird, did the demo, and finished the piece off at home. None of the others have a name yet, but this one is definitely ‘Pink Moon’.
The fabrics from the demo and my bird pattern.
The finished piece; it’s about 35 x 25 cm. Below, a close up.