Sorry about the heading, but I’ve started a new piece of work for the Art Textiles: Made in Britain gallery at the Festival of Quilts this year. We are all making our pieces for inside the gallery, but have decided to each make a piece on work in matching format to hang on the exterior walls of the gallery too. The canvases we are using are 120 x 40 cm. This format, and its partner the long landscape format, give ample opportunities for a good amount of narrative in a piece of work.
I’ve written some text to go with/on my piece, but can’t decide on the title yet; it will be one of the above lines, taken from the text.
So, some stages of its making.
My favourite part of a new project, sorting through all the potential ingredients. The series of blue and green painted and printed pieces were the first things I laid down, and the choices I stuck with too.
After much editing, organising, and a fair amount of use of the scissors, the final layout pinned to the canvas. I hadn’t intended birds to be included in this work, but from the start I knew they would be, there was no escape; see below.
I wanted to include some text I wrote for the piece, so decided that it would be perfect to make some birds using this. I printed this using my inkjet printer onto bondawebbed silk.
I then drew this chappie, as I wanted a flying bird. He’s a paradise flycatcher.
Here he is in place.
His two companions, one of which is shown above, were based on a bird drawing I had made for a piece called Autumn forest, which is in Gallery Two.
Halfway through adding all the smaller details, above and below.
And below, the piece has been machine stitched and is waiting for hand stitch and beads to be added. I will paint the canvas background but haven’t yet decided the colour.