Well I wish I was, but actually this is the title of the next artist book I’m working on. I’ve wanted to use the small circular pieces [ 30 cm diameter ] of Khadi paper in a project for some time, so as well as taking the opportunity to introduce digital printing and a holiday theme too, we’re basically feeding three pigeons from one bag of seed here. Not that a pigeon features in the pages, lovely as they are. The book is based on a combination of impressions gained upon walking in some of the quieter areas of Venice, and some repeat motifs from images I particularly liked. With my usual meticulously planned approach I printed off the images I liked best, and let things develop as they went along. The project, I thought, was finished, but today it decided that it wasn’t quite, so I will be adding a couple more pages. It has to be done. I started by printing on a variety of papers, and acetate, using my inkjet printer. I didn’t use everything I printed in this project, but will use the rest in other work. Collage means little is wasted. Some of the images are on a lovely soft Fabriano watercolour paper, and I particularly liked those. Above and below, some of the printed images. Some initial drawings and ideas. I took motifs from the low relief stone carving shown here, and they were used throughout the pages, along with other leaf and flower motifs. I can’t seem to get away from the natural world, and the green spaces and roof gardens in Venice are very special. Work in progress, above. The first double page spread, with text, collaged image and fabrics. The second spread, featuring a favourite church and campo in Dorsoduro. This hedge is the same plant as the tree in the courtyard. I didn’t realise this when I chose the two images. I sketched some simple shapes to use as collaged elements. A cheeky door opens, and at the turn of the page the hedge is revealed. The left hand page features fabric and finely woven sheet metal elements, the right is a printed image of the hedge in question. There are more pages to the book, and some more text. The images above were printed onto the sheets from one of those small watercolour pads, postcard size. I love the perforations, and have turned these into a collection of what I can only describe as labels, to be attached to the main book. I didn’t want to leave them out. I’ll be stitching and finishing the pages, and when that is all done, it will be a miracle. No, I meant to say I will post a few images, but don’t hold your breath, as the finishing is backing up, somewhat…I’ll be bringing the finished book to Embroidery, Fashion and Stitch at the NEC next year.