I’ve been wanting to make some colourful work for some time, and I was recently going through my paper drawer, trying to sort it out but failing; paper doesn’t seem to like being sorted.
I had painted these large circles of Khadi paper at least 18 months ago, and over time kept just putting them back in the drawer. I liked them but didn’t have many ideas of what to do with them, until earlier on this week when I realised they were exactly what I needed to get a bit of colour into my work; and of course I was using stuff I already have, which is a bit of a thing with me these days. Instead of adding to my materials, I’m going through them and using them, and enjoying the process too. Also you end up with more space, which can’t be bad.
So here are a few before and after shots. The circles are 56 cm in diameter.
Auditioning some fabrics.
Laid down and ready to stitch.
All the fabrics are from my store of Bondawebbed materials, so they are all ready to go. The laid down piece, below.
I forgot to photograph the fabrics used in this yellow birds piece beforehand, but you can see what I’ve used on the left. Most of the bright fabrics were painted by my daughter Chloe. She throws them out and I use them…
There are a couple more pieces in the pipeline too, which I will post as they progress.