I’ve been thinking for quite a long time now that I need more colour in my work, more bold exciting colour, in large in -your- face blocks of no excuses colour.
I’ve just got back into work after a few weeks of house sorting and slow motion decorating [ dodgy back ] and now that many jobs have been ticked off that have been sitting on me for ages, I decided it was time to get the colour thing off the ground.
I’m thinking in terms of needlepoint more and more at the moment; it is very satisfying, and fun, albeit, like the decorating above, also slow-mo. I also have a new mixed media project in mind, but I bet it will include some needlepoint too. I love a new medium, it really gets the enthusiasm burning.
Designing for needlepoint is, for me, very different to designing for mixed media. If I want to start a new piece of mixed media work, I look through sketchbooks, make a couple of new drawings, followed by a working sketch, and get out an amount of materials, usually fabrics and papers, which I try out, choosing and editing as I construct the piece.
With needlepoint I seem to work best, so far, if I make a collage of the piece beforehand. This sorts out colour, detail, and the broader areas of the piece. When I transfer it onto the canvas, I naturally don’t mind a little deviation if necessary, and I may alter the design when stitching, if interesting things start to happen, and if more subtle detail needs to be added in large monochromatic areas.
As you will see, I can’t quite ditch my old standbys black and white. I think they will always be too useful, to set off colours, and add definition too.
I wanted to use this design in the piece, along with the bright pink and lime green that have been in my head for a couple of weeks. This is a screen print I made from a drawing on a course a few weeks ago.
I had some painted papers which I played around with initially, to give me an idea of what I wanted. I eliminated most of the detail and went for blocks of colour.
I then painted a piece of paper with acrylics. This was the same size as the canvas I wanted to use, 50 x 50 cm.
Part of the painted background and the painted papers [ altered to make them more useful ] which I then used as collage materials, see below.
Below, the finished collaged design, ready to be transferred onto canvas, and to be used as a colour guide.
I’ll post it when it’s finished. This may take some time…