I bought a selection of patterned fabrics at the Festival of Quilts in August, and have started to put a piece of work together using them. This is quite a new thing for me, and I certainly enjoyed choosing them. But as you will see the character of them changed slightly as the piece developed…
Here they are. I’ve started to cut them up and arrange them, experimenting with shape and layout. There are one or two prints, of birds and a chameleon, which I decided not to use. I wasn’t sure what I was aiming for at this point, but was interested to see what happened.
I enjoy writing the occasional haiku, so whilst working with the fabrics I decided to write a few words, and so the piece started to come together. This frequently seems to be the way I work now, with text informing the development of the work.
There are seven haiku now, which I did want to include with the piece, but it’s more likely they will be shown separately.
I need a longer table.
The fabrics are lovely but needed softening and personalising. I used white acrylic paint, which I brushed and printed on to the piece after it was constructed on some calico backing. Once a fabric painter, always a fabric painter, it seems.
I don’t usually work with blue, but I love indigo and the soft blues in this piece. And birds always invite themselves along…
I did intend to hand stitch the whole thing, but kept putting it off. I decided this was because I didn’t actually want to, so out came the machine. I like the machine stitched line though, it suits the work, and I will add hand stitched detail in different threads, without the pressure to cover the whole piece.
Back to the machining!