There are many ways of approaching your creative practice. When I made ceramics, I put my creative effort into that practice, but kept up a little textile experimentation on the side, when I had time. There wasn’t a lot of time, and I became a little frustrated.
When I eventually moved into textiles full time, I concentrated on hand stitching using fabrics I painted and printed myself, bringing in machine stitching after a year or so. I loved that practice, and still enjoy these methods of making collaged pieces.
This developed into artist’s book making, using mixed media and fabrics, still with a lot of stitch. This is also ongoing, and as long as the ideas and words keep coming I will keep doing it.
Then I developed an urge to do a spot of needlepoint. This developed because I love woven textiles, but I’m not a weaver, and I met Tina Francis, whose needlepoint works I greatly admire.
So, at the moment, I appear to be working in all these disciplines, either separately, or in combination. Whatever develops intrinsically and without forcing, that will be the way.
So, after that long preamble, a little visual mix here of what I’m up to at the moment.
I’m making some new artist’s books. These are based on some text and stories I have written. The stories are each basically a few paragraphs long, based upon my observations of life, and are autobiographical. They are just something I need to say, and making books is my way of communicating them.
Above you can see some of the materials I am collecting, mostly digital images of my work and photographs, sometimes collaged via Photoshop, sometimes collaged with scissors and glue. The results will be applied to Khadi paper pages, then stitched.
The books are part of the satchel project I mentioned in my last post. This is an imagined travelling private library; there is a large square format book in the making, and there will be a concertina book, and perhaps one other smaller book.
Above are some of the materials for the satchel, namely the front and back. The blue fabrics are joined together leftovers from a previous project, and the floral piece is a cross stitch picture my mother sewed some years ago. She wasn’t that keen on cross stitch, but gave it a go and was determined to finish it.
Initially I was going to frame it, but using it as part of the book satchel has more meaning for me; when the stories satchel has been exhibited and done its little tour, I will use the satchel, albeit carefully.
I’ve started to get another needlepoint ready to go. This is naughty, as I have 3 on the go at the moment; they will be finished, but when I have an idea I like to move it along. Moving things along with tent stitch is not recommended if you are in a hurry…
Drawn out on the canvas. It’s not too large this time, about 30 cm long. It will be colourful, as the bird is a Gouldian finch, but I haven’t yet decided on the yarns.
Lastly I have actually made something useful. Our new bed needed an end of bed quilt to tie the colours in the room together, and this is it. I made it using a lovely piece of vintage linen curtain, with appliqué squares, and some of my very old kimono. It’s hand stitched with beads, but machine stitched around the border. It is, as usual with my work, quite stiff, but lies well and doesn’t misbehave. It doesn’t so much tie the room together as totally dominate it, but that’s good enough for me.