I’ve been working with some of the new fabrics I printed and painted a couple of weeks ago during the Open Studio event at the Bramble Patch in Northamptonshire. It was very enjoyable to trawl through the fabrics, and I was pleased that the Setacolour I used for printing with my thermofax screens had become even crisper and more defined as it had cured over a few days.
The main problem is with some of these fabrics is that I don’t want to cut them up; this is a pest as my work is based upon cutting fabric and paper up, to basically make collage to which I add stitching. I’m working on a new way of treating these pieces, but one or two others have been sort of partially cut up. I have been making some new work that will be part of a new artist’s book, but in the meantime will also be earning its keep as samples for a series of courses I am teaching over the next couple of weeks, based upon pattern and the use of simple shapes, repeated within a space.
I love images of peoples’ messy studios, so here are a couple of my work area, when everything was out and being sorted through. I do have the habit of having several ideas [ which of course I think are all marvellous at the time ] as I go through fabric, and bundling the relevant pieces up, thus producing enough possible projects to keep me going for quite a few years. I’ll never learn.
The trouble is when you cover all the available surfaces, there’s nowhere else to go. There was stuff on the sofa, a chair and the top of a long box I keep quilts in too.
It took me ages to sort it and decide what to use. I had a good old de clutter of fabric earlier this year, so at least there is a bit of space to keep the new stuff, but room for more is at a premium. My daughter is getting into digital art and I can see the attraction. Below are a few of the new fabrics, they need ironing, sorry about that.
These two chaps seem to crop up in a lot of the work, and I thought I was using a big variety of screens. I think you just get paint left on the screen and carry on using it up, starting a new piece, then having to add more paint to finish that piece.
I chose this fabric, with some others, to make a page for the book, and as a sample in pattern, or at least the way I use pattern. It wasn’t the best piece to leave as a whole cloth, so cut up was an ideal background.
Here is the completed piece; I added applique birds and other shapes, and it will be machine and hand stitched. Its about 70 x 50 cm.
This is its companion piece, they will probably be opposite each other in the book, as a double page spread.
And this is another piece I made, putting appliqué shapes onto a whole cloth printed background. This is 80 x 40 cm.
I’ve just finished this piece too; its making and how I made it will be featured in Maggie Grey’s Workshop on the Web.
It’s 75 x 35 cm.
To finish, phew, there are a lot of images here, are some other sample pieces to take to the pattern courses. Some have been around for a couple of years, but I’ve backed them and will actually get around to stitching them next week.
The first, below, is a new one though, which is constructed on 20 x 20 cm squares of black felt, using a mix of printed fabrics and mixed media, such as papers and metal, so this will do nicely for the pattern course and a mixed media course that’s coming up soon too. Just need to get on with stitching it…
And these pieces are older revitalised work, or repurposed, as is said, these days.
Coming soon, more mess; I’ve just photographed the early stages of the construction of another double page spread for the book, before and after I sorted the pile of ‘useful’ stuff I had hoarded for such an occasion. Digital art, bring it on.